I asked a question on RecruitingBlogs:
What bugs you about candidates?
I got excellent responses, including (you have to read their comments, in their own words):
- Your (mis)use of LinkedIn,
- How and when you contact recruiters (including follow-up),
- Telling recruiters how to do their job,
- Having a bad resume or cover letter,
- Not being prepared for interviews,
- Talking too much,
- Addressing a (email, cover letter, etc.) to the wrong person,
- Overstating how great you are,
- And, praying for too long (seriously, read it – page two, by Sandra, #4. Sandra is awesome… )
I hesitated sharing this list lest you think you’ve read it before. But you really should read their comments, because they see this stuff all day long.
How bad is this? Check out Andrew’s parting words:
When economists say that our unemployment rate is at 8%….my general thought is, it is amazing it is that low cause based on some of the idiots I come in contact with…it should be much higher.
I’m sure none of my JibberJobber users, or readers, make these mistakes… right? Of course not.
Read the comments anyway, just to make sure you aren’t violating anything 🙂