Speaking of your attitude, and where your mind is at, during the job search, check out this great article on Fast Company: 8 PERSONALITY TRAITS OF PEOPLE WHO DON’T LET JOB HUNTING CRUSH THEIR SOULS, by Jane Bianchi.
They are (read the article for more):
- They accentuate the positives. Focus on your real worth, what you have accomplished, and what you can, rather than negatives.
- They identify their hang-ups. And tackle those hang-ups (aka weaknesses) head-on!
- They have passion and purpose. Study the power of this concept – I found some articles a few years ago and am amazed at how powerful it is to have passion, purpose, vision, etc.
- They “pressure-proof” themselves. Thick skin. Accept negative feedback and direction. This is the real, uninsulated world, and people are watching to see how you’ll react under pressure.
- They network, network, network. JibberJobber anyone??
- They always do their homework. Be prepared…. or look like you are uninterested (or incompetent). You don’t have to know everything, but know enough, and be able to say “I’m not sure, let me look into that.”
- They convey confidence, not arrogance. Quite a difference between the two.
- They learn from each letdown. Change is unavoidable, right? So let’s embrace change, and learn, and grow. That’s what life is, isn’t it?
How do you do with these eight?