I call that CAREER MANAGEMENT.
How do you “shore up” anything? Where is all the job security? How does a job seeker compete in this market, when so many talented professionals are getting dumped into the job search market (aka, laid off)?
Is there any hope?
The traditional sources of job security included the sheepskin (which first was a high school diploma, then was a college degree, and then became an MBA… it’s all an illusion now, though), a good employer (like, in the olden days, the railroad, and now perhaps a good state or federal job), a solid work history and credentials, etc.
If any of that provided job security, it certainly didn’t work for me. And I know plenty of people who have done “all the right things” for their career management and enjoyed (tongue-in-cheek) over twelve months of unemployment.
What can YOU do for Job Action Day, to take charge of your own career? Here are some ideas of things to do TODAY (pick one):
- Sign up to receive the JibberJobber One Thing, which is one email per day of something ACTIONABLE to do for your career. We’ve been doing this for a few weeks now and it has been great.
- Do something for your personal brand.
- Do something to grow or nurture your network.
- Do something to quantify your credentials, including starting a job journal or updating your resume.
I’ll leave it at that… if you want more ideas, read through the 30 months of this blog… there are plenty of other ideas. Also, you might be interested in reading what these bloggers write about Job Action Day, with their suggestion(s) on what you could/should do today:
- Alexandra Levit: Alexandra Levit’s Water Cooler Wisdom
- Barbara Safani: CareerSolvers
- Career Manangement Alliance Blog
- Curt Rosengren: The M.A.P. Maker [Meaning Abundance & Passion]
- Darrell Gurney: In The Line of Hire
- Dave Rigotti: Career Fire
- Deborah Brown-Volkman: Surpass Your Dreams
- Diane Danielson: THE WOMEN’SDISH with Diane & Friends
- Jacob Share: JobMob
- Lindsey Pollak: Lindsey Pollak Blog: Career Advice & Commentary
- Louise Fletcher: blueskyresumesblog
- Maggie Mistal: what if…
- Miriam Salpeter: Keppie Careers
- Rich Milgram: EmploymentMetrix.com
- Steven Davies: JobPerfect Job Search Techniques
- Steven Rothberg: CollegeRecruiter.com Blog
- Wendy Terwelp: Rock Your Career
- Willy Franzen: One Day, One Job
Tomorrow you must vote. If you don’t vote, you can’t complain about our federal government for the next 4+ years.